Graduate and Undergraduate Students
We are interested in self-organization mechanisms in cell migrations, such as polarity in crawling cell migration and ciliary metachronal wave system and so on.
|Crawling Cell Migration（keratocytes）
||Crawling Cell Migration（HL-60 cells）
|taken by Okimura C
||taken by Okimura C
|Ciliary Metachronal Wave (P. caudatum)
|taken by Narematsu N
Approach and Techniques
Live cell imaging under microscopies; CLSM, TIRFM, Traction force Microscopy, ...
Mechatronics; lathe, CNC milling machine, ...
Electronics; OP Amp, CMOS, TTL, ...
Programing; LabVIEW, MATLAB, Quick BASIC, ...
YOKOGAWA Spin Disk
in D. discoideum
|Myosin II Filaments
in D. discoideum
||Lab Made Cell
- Okimura C. and Iwadate Y. (2017). Directional cell migration in response to repeated substratum stretching. Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 86: 101002. doi: 10.7566/JPSJ.86.101002
- Okimura, C. and Iwadate, Y. (2016). Hybrid mechanosensing system to generate the polarity needed for migration in fish keratocytes. Cell Adhesion & Migration. 10: 406-418. doi: 10.1080/19336918.2016.1170268
- Okimura, C., Ueda, K., Sakumura, Y. and Iwadate, Y. (2016). Fast-crawling cell types migrate to avoid the direction of periodic substratum stretching. Cell Adhesion & Migration. 10: 331-341. doi: 10.1080/19336918.2015.1129482
- Adachi, K., Tokushige, M., Omata, K., Yamazaki, S. and Iwadate, Y. (2016). Kinetics of coloration in photochromic Tungsten(VI) Oxide/Silicon Oxycarbide/Silica hybrid xerogel: Insight into cation self-diffusion mechanisms. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 8: 14019−14028. doi: 10.1021/acsami.6b04115
- Sonoda, A., Okimura, C. and Iwadate, Y. (2016). Shape and area of keratocytes are related to the distribution and magnitude of their traction forces. Cell Structure and Function 41: 33-43. doi: 10.1247/csf.15008
- Nakata, T., Okimura, C., Mizuno, T. and Iwadate, Y. (2016). The role of stress fibers in the shape determination mechanism of fish keratocytes. Biophysical Journal 110: 481-492. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2015.12.014
- Narematsu, N., Quek, R., Chiam, K.-H. and Iwadate, Y. (2015). Ciliary metachronal wave propagation on the compliant surface of Paramecium cells. Cytoskeleton 72: 633-646. doi: 10.1002/cm.21266
- Nakashima, H., Okimura, C. and Iwadate, Y. (2015). The molecular dynamics of crawling migration in microtubule-disrupted keratocytes. Biophysics and Physicobiology 12: 21-29. doi: 10.2142/biophysico.12.0_21
- Tsugiyama, H., Okimura, C., Mizuno, T. and Iwadate, Y. (2013). Electroporation of adherent cells with low sample volumes on a microscope stage. Journal of Experimental Biology 216: 3591-3598. doi: 10.1242/jeb.089870
- Iwadate, Y., Okimura, C., Sato, K., Nakashima, Y., Tsujioka, M. and Minami, K. (2013). Myosin-II-mediated directional migration of Dictyostelium cells in response to cyclic stretching of substratum. Biophysical Journal 104: 748-758. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2013.01.005
- Uyeda, Q.P.T., Iwadate, Y., Umeki, N., Nagasaki, A. and Yumura, S. (2011). Stretching actin filaments within cells enhances their affinity for the myosin II motor domain. PLoS ONE 6: e26200. doi: 10.1016/j.bpj.2013.01.005
- Iwadate, Y. and Yumura, S. (2009). Cyclic stretch of the substratum using a shape-memory alloy induces directional migration in Dictyostelium cells. Biotechniques 47: 757-767. doi: 10.2144/000113217
- Pramanik, Md. K., Iijima, M., Iwadate, Y. and Yumura, S. (2009). PTEN is a mechanosensing signal transducer for myosin II localization in Dictyostelium cells. Genes to Cells 14: 821-834. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2443.2009.01312.x
- Iwadate, Y. and Nakaoka, Y. (2008). Calcium regulates independently ciliary beat and cell contraction in Paramecium cells. Cell Calcium 44: 169-179. doi: 10.1016/j.ceca.2007.11.006
- Iwadate, Y. and Yumura, S. (2008). Actin-based propulsive force and myosin II-based contractile force in a migrating Dictyostelium cells. Journal of Cell Science 121: 1314-1324. doi: 10.1242/jcs.021576
- Iwadate, Y. and Yumura, S. (2008). Molecular dynamics and forces of a motile cell simultaneously visualized by TIRF and force microscopies. Biotechniques 44: 739-750. doi: 10.2144/000112752
Invited Talks (2008-)
- Narematsu, N., Quek ,R., Chiam, K.-H. and Iwadate, Y. Compliancy of the cell cortex can serve as a mediator for the propagation of metachronal waves in Paramecium cells. The 22nd International Congress of Zoology. Symposium 9. Cilia: their coordination in motility, morphogenesis and eukaryotic evolution (IS9) . OIST. 15 Nov. 2016.
- Iwadate, Y. Keratocyte migration and dynamics of actin cytoskeleton. Symposium on "Soft Matter" in Annual Meeting of Physical Society of Japan. Kanazawa Univ. 14 Sep. 2016.
- Iwadate, Y. Polarity generation of crawling cells under cyclic substratum-stretching. Elucidation of configurational structure in micro behavior and collective pattern formation. Kyoto Univ. 12 Sep. 2016.
- Iwadate, Y. Shape determination and polarity generation for migration depending on stress fibers in fish keratocytes. Winners Lecture of 1st SFS Research Awards． Kyushu Univ． 18 Jun. 2016．
- Iwadate, Y. and Hori M. Regulation of ciliary beats and metachronal ciliary wave propagation. Annual Meeting of Society of Aero Aqua Bio-Mechanisms. 3 Sep. 2015.
- Iwadate, Y. Cyclic stretching of substratum induces directional migration in fast-crawling cells. Symposium on “Modern Methods in Computing Biology”. Bioinformatics Institute, A*STAR, Singapore. 23-24. Mar. 2015.
- Iwadate, Y. Traction forces and polarity for crawling cell migration. Innovative Cell Biology. Chiba Univ. Mar. 1, 2013.
- Iwadate, Y. Polarity generation for cell migration by traction forces. The 9th Bio-Optics Conference. Yamaguchi Univ. Dec. 7-8, 2012.
- Iwadate, Y. A possible mechanism of traction forces and directional migration in Dictyostelium cells. MBI Seminar and Workshop. National University of Singapore. Sep. 13-14, 2011.
- Iwadate, Y. A possible mechanism of traction forces and directional migration in Dictyostelium cells. BMB2010. Kobe Portopia Hotel. Dec. 7-10, 2010.
- Iwadate, Y. Measurement of traction force in amoeboid movement and dicision of migrating direction by mechano-sensing mechanism. The 2th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Quantitative Biology. Osaka Univ. Jan. 10-11, 2010.
- Iwadate, Y. and Yumura, S. Traction force and meshano-sensing system in Dictyostelium amoeba. Symposium on "Biology under Time-Space Hierarchy Project", The Kyushu University Research Superstar Program (SSP). Kyushu Univ. Feb. 21, 2008.
- Matsuno, H. (Representative), Nishii, J., Urakami, N., Hori, M. and Iwadate, Y. Research Project Number:16H02896. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research. 2016-2019.
- Iwadate, Y. Research Project Number:15H01323. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research. 2015-2016.
- Iwadate, Y. Research Project Number:26103524. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research. 2014-2015.
- Iwadate, Y. Research Project Number:26650050. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research. 2014-2016.
- Iwadate, Y. Metachronal wave of ciliary beat on Paramecium cell surface. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Exploratory Research. 2013-2014.<
- Iwadate, Y. Polarity generation for cell migration by their own traction forces. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Exploratory Research. 2011-2012.<
- Iwadate, Y. Development of a visualization device of traction forces of migrating cells forin vitro histogenesis and regenerative medicine. A-STEP Project, JST. 2010.
- Iwadate, Y. Traction forces and self-organized porality in Amoeboid movement. Basic Research Program in Yamaguchi Univ.. 2010.
- Iwadate, Y. Understanding of clliary metachronal wave system. Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, Grant-in-Aid for Exploratory Research. 2010-2012.
- Iwadate, Y. Development and application of a novel cell stretching device for in vitro histogenesis and regenerative medicine. Seeds Project, JST. 2009.
- Iwadate, Y. Biological rhythm underlying expansion-contraction systems in amoeboid movements. The Dynamic Mechanism and Fundamental Technology for Biological System, PREST, JST. 2008-2011.